There I was, a young pre-guru lad, still in my sensitive formative years, sitting on grandma’s porch out on the Taker homestead. Aw, shucks, I may even have been chewing on some amber stalks of grain.
The neighbor came over and started talking to my grandma. I was just a youngin’ so I didn’t pay no mind to their adult conversation.
Until… suddenly, the neighbor just dropped the N-word!
I sucked in my breath. Holy shit, I thought, someone is in for it now. I got the hell out of Dodge to make way for the can of whoop ass I knew my grandma was about to open.
Except… that didn’t happened. Grandma didn’t use the word herself, but she as hell didn’t kick that fucker in the nards, either. In fact, she acted like nothing happened at all.
Although I was young, I’ve never forgotten that moment. It is still vivid in my mind. I learned an important lesson that day. I guess it’s hard to forget certain moments frozen in time like when you got your heart broke. It was all part of my Intro 101 to this planet, I guess.
Fast-forward to present day where I’m, obviously, a seasoned traveler and enlightened guru in this game called life. Shit like that no longer surprises me.
What the fuck? Cliven Bundy just said what? Double dribble? Come again? The owner of an NBA basketball team just said what?
I guess I’m not as enlightened as I thought. I still can be surprised.
And, like always, this got me to thinking…
Continue reading →
Just some random what nots:
- The last day I missed a post was Monday, October 5, 2009. That means it is now 113 days of consecutive blogging and counting! Eat that, NaBloPoMo.
- The blog is now eight comments away from the “1,000 comments” achievement. Who will be the one to pop my 1k cherry?
- Last night Mrs. Abyss laughed her ass off. Longer and harder than any time I can think of in recent memory. (Too bad for her she has a cold and a little rattle in her chest and all that laughter choked her good!) She came home from work and found that I had purchased haircut clippers and had buzzed my head good. I figured it would be a good cost-cutting move since haircuts cost me $22 each and the clippers were a one-time investment of only $10.50.
- In my latest move of craziness I decided to forgo the gasoline-powered internal combustion engine this morning and I walked my ass to work. (It’s only two miles.) There is something exhilarating about getting from point A to point B under your own head of steam. The trick now is to see how long I can keep this up and what effect it might have on me. Thanks to the WordPress “schedule post” feature I’ll still be able to blog while I’m hoofin’ it across town later this afternoon.
- There have been four cans of energy drinks in our fridge during the last 24 hours. The gerbil herd may be getting ready to stampede. Our scientists are carefully observing – from a safe distance.
Have a great day, all!